25 September 2017 Safe to Learn?
- News & Events
Know Violence in Childhood co-organised its third Regional Expert Roundtable focusing on Prevention of Violence in Schools in South Asia in Colombo, Sri LankaBACK
From 25-27 April 2016, a regional expert meeting for South Asia was held in Colombo, Sri Lanka, to explore the issue of violence experienced by children as part of the schooling process, and to identify emerging lessons from work done across the region by governments and civil society organisations to prevent violence in schools. The meeting was organised by Know Violence in Childhood in collaboration with South Asia Initiative to End Violence against Children (SAIEVAC) and with support from National Action and Coordinating Group against Violence against Women and Children (NACG) members in the region.
The roundtable meetings are being held to enable the Initiative to hear and learn from scholars, practitioners and policy makers from different parts of the world and link to related initiatives that are active in different countries and regions.
The South Asia regional expert roundtable focused on violence in schools. Despite a relatively weak evidence base, South Asia’s governments and civil society organisations are making some impressive efforts to address violence and improve schooling processes and outcomes.
A diverse group of educationists, social scientists, legal experts and practitioners attended the expert meeting. They included civil society organisations such as ARC Maldives, Blue Veins and SPARC from Pakistan, Save the Children Afghanistan and Bangladesh, BRAC Bangladesh; international organisations such as UNICEF India, UNICEF Regional Office South Asia (ROSA); and national representatives of the NACG, amongst others. The report of the meeting will be tabled at the 4th SAIEVAC Ministerial meeting hosted by Government of India from 9-11 May 2016 and is available for download.
To download agenda, participant list and presentations, please click here.
- Invitation to Ending Violence in Childhood, a Learning Event
- Request for Proposal for selection of an agency to design communications products including a high quality Global Flagship Report for Know Violence in Childhood
- Position Statement, 2016 World Health Assembly on Violence Against Children by the International Pediatric Association
- Global Partnership to End Violence Against Children invites you to a consultation on their Zero Draft Strategy
- Elevate Children Funders Group Seeks Proposals for 2015 Development Agenda